Thanks to digital technology, the eCommerce industry is growing at a rapid rate. eCommerce businesses transformed the way of buying and selling products/services. It has given a new direction to the overall market growth. Businesses are now focused more on online presence instead of brick-and-mortar physical presence. It ultimately forces them to choose one of the eCommerce platforms to build their online store with responsive design.
Here are the following eCommerce statistics that you need to look at:
Over 2.14 billion people worldwide are expected to buy goods and services online in 2021.
Global online sales are forecast to reach 22% of all retail sales in 2023.
Retail eCommerce market sales worldwide will reach $6.54 trillion in 2023.
By 2040, 95% of retail purchases are likely to be made online, and traditional retail may hardly exist.
The above statistics motivate business owners to build their online store. eCommerce platforms let you build websites without coding skills, with great UI/UX design within budget. When it comes to choosing an eCommerce platform, a web development company will offer you myriad options. But it’s mind-boggling picking the right platform.
Therefore, here in this blog, we will highlight the five top eCommerce platforms that will power up your business growth with great results. Let’s start!
The Best eCommerce Platforms to Boost Your Business
Below are the most famous platforms to take your best foot forward while building an online store for your business.
When we talk about the best eCommerce platforms, then the list is incomplete without Shopify. Yes, it’s a giant eCommerce platform that offers several features for businesses of all sizes. With more than 1 million users, Shopify has now become a popular eCommerce platform. It holds a 31 percent share in the US market using eCommerce websites.
But why is Shopify so popular among the audience? Saying clearly, flexibility is one of the reasons for Shopify’s success. The platform includes so many features that you won’t find on any other eCommerce platform.
Available in different versions, Shopify is considered the best platform to meet several needs of different business sizes.
- Shopify Lite is perfect for those existing websites that need a way to take payment.
- Shopify Plus is the right fit for those large companies that can easily spend $2000 every month on this eCommerce platform.
With the rise in Shopify development year by year, the user is welcomed with several features, including a built-in CMS, multiple themes for your site, and a blogging platform for your online store. The Shopify store also has more than 2400 apps that you can easily access. The most notable feature of Shopify has a great capability to help you build an attractive and well-functioning website.
- Clean and intuitive interfaces enabling features to be logically organised with a user-friendly admin area.
- Providing a secure platform with an SSL certificate to encrypt all your entered information and pass it via a secure connection.
- A free built-in mobile commerce shopping cart with responsive themes ensuring quick page loads.
- 160+ themes available (free & paid) with editable code allowing you to design fully-customised eCommerce stores.
- Offers abandoned checkout recovery to automatically track and email the potential customers to complete the buying process.
- There’s an extra fee for non-Shopify payments.
- The built-in payment gateway allows merchants to sell from specific countries.
- There’s no secure uptime guarantee.
- Over pricey plans to build a fully-featured online store as the light plan comes with limited features.
Best for: Small retailer shops with good monthly turnover.
Pricing: Basic plan starts from US$9, can go up to $2000 per month.
Magento is open-source software, which is specially designed to power giant eCommerce businesses. There are multiple options available for customisation for the novice as well as professionals. Hence, you can expand your website as much as you desire to achieve great results.
Magento, a popular eCommerce solution, also gives Shopify tough competition in several aspects. Generally, medium to large & enterprise-level sites can afford Magento development or a complete department to handle its overall working.
So, if you’re also looking for an eCommerce platform that could provide you with eCommerce assistance, Magento is also a great option.
- Feature-rich eCommerce platform to operate your business with a great user experience.
- Extensive backend user interface with lots of features available.
- Highly versatile no matter how many products you are selling as it can allow multiple transactions per hour.
- Wide variety of opportunities to alter your theme and template/layout designs.
- A mobile-friendly platform empowers you to develop a hassle-free mobile website and deliver a great mobile experience to customers.
- Difficult for beginners as they need a few development skills to get started.
- The platform is quite expensive the more you opt for updates, custom development, and integrations.
- Time-consuming because of heavily layered software and difficult coding.
- Running Magento on shared hosting can cause a sluggish and poor user experience for customers.
Best for: Medium to large enterprise businesses with professional web development experience.
Pricing: Free. And, for the enterprise level, plans start from US$25 up to $20,000 approx. per month or year.
Similar to Magento, WooCommerce is also an open-source platform that offers customisation. It is a reliable eCommerce platform built on WordPress, and you run it behind your existing WordPress website. So, you can leverage two platforms’ capabilities at the same time.
If you want to score a high business score in 2021, hire a professional for the Woocommerce development site.
While creating your WordPress website, you need to buy hosting, a domain name, and an SSL certificate separately. Whereas eCommerce platforms cater to all such needs on a single platform. Extensions like Payment gateways (Stripe, Square, Amazon Pay, PayPal & Authorize.Net) and several plugins for your shipping and email tracking are must-haves that you need to create a WooCommerce site.
- WordPress has an enormous community online.
- Integrated WordPress with multiple choice of payment gateways and customisation.
- The themes and plugins are interminable as anyone can create and sell them online.
- The eCommerce platform offers you the flexibility to customise your store by picking any plugins, themes, or widgets.
- WooCommerce is easy to design on WordPress.
- WordPress is all about learning and adapting, which might affect few businesses.
- You may find that WooCommerce might be costly due to advanced plugins, themes, and hosting.
- You might feel stuck managing everything- from hosting to security and support to backups.
Best for: Merchants who have complete knowledge about websites & want full control over all aspects of the online store.
Pricing: Free. The paid subscription is also available approx US$20-US$200, based on what you choose.
If you want to power up your business, then BigCommerce can help you do that with its superior capabilities. It is one of the popular eCommerce platforms that has two offerings-
- BigCommerce Essentials (a DIY SaaS platform)
- BigCommerce Enterprise (a customised experience for larger customers)
BigCommerce development sets up your eCommerce store, giving the ease of adding offered products & services. To develop a well-functioning website, you need to go through the whole setting-up process. If you find any third-party app that can help build your eCommerce store, this platform offers the complete ease of installing the app right from the admin console so that you won’t miss any chance to benefit your store.
BigCommerce is also a well-organised platform where you can access the desired information. It also helps you to align your task in a well-structured way.
- More than 800 apps in the BigCommerce store allow you to add several features to meet the requirements.
- Easy to modify the page titles, meta titles, headings, change/create URLs.
- AMP (accelerated mobile pages) is given on all free templates.
- Image optimisation is available in all price plans, unlike the competitors, who either don’t have this feature or ask you to install another app for image optimisation.
- The BigCommerce platform delivers you better cookie support as compared to competitors.
- A few features need an understanding of coding, and there is a steep price curve.
- To customise your store, the themes can get quite expensive as per the upgrade and themes you choose.
- It’s not that easy to adjust all the parts of your home page, including the text content.
- The design change features do not generally work the way you want them to.
Best for: A well-organized platform perfect for tech-literate businesses aiming to grow swiftly.
Pricing: US$29.95 – $299.95 + varies from business requirements
Miva is another enterprise-level SaaS eCommerce platform. More than 500,000 stores are using this platform, highlighting its popularity among the audience. This platform allows you to handle sales activities with a single Miva site. You can even combine the functionality of the B2B site with the visual appeal of a B2C store.
In simple words, it provides complete assistance in terms of optimising the purchasing experience of customers. Its absolute feature of template layer editing allows the user and its entire team to make changes to your site, react to trends, and more. The unique part about this is that all this can be possible without any source code or technical help.
- Multiple payment options are available to create an easy checkout process.
- Third-party features are being incorporated into the core features with advanced releases.
- The store design can be fully customised to accommodate almost any design element.
- The platform is entirely PCI/PDA-SS compliant, which secures and encrypts customer’s data.
- Integrating third parties with Miva is quite expensive.
- The Miva admin area is not that user-friendly.
- Frequent trouble in logging requires technical support, which is quite expensive.
Best for: Mid-size and enterprise merchants that have complex business requirements and want to make online revenues.
Pricing: Paid version as per business requirements.
When you have such robust eCommerce platforms to build your online store, why wait? Start the digital journey of your business NOW…
This blog post is all about the most popular eCommerce platforms that you can take advantage of and help your business climb the ladder of success. Whether you want to build an online platform or update the existing one, you can hire a professional web design Melbourne company to get your eCommerce store made by experts in a set time frame.