People who are interested in running an online store face lots of confusion. The biggest one is regarding the selection of a good eCommerce development platform such as – Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce, Prestashop, BigCommerce, and so on. Many people are considering the option of Magento development services. As per the current situations, many Magento users are confused about migration.
- Why Do They Need To Migrate To Magento 2?
- How Can Magento 2 Be Beneficial?
- How Can Migration Process Be Done?
- What Will The Results Be Of Migration?
These are some common queries that stuck in the mind of several individuals. Today, here you will get the detailed information regarding all these things that can help you in getting answers to all your queries.
Magento – An Introduction
Magento is one of the best eCommerce development platforms. It is an open-source platform that can be used by anyone without spending a single penny. Its open-source characteristic allows the users to develop their eCommerce website as per their requirements. There are several benefits associated with the usage of Magento and some are listed here.
- Mobile-Friendly Configuration
- Third-Party Integrations
- Customized Security Arrangements
- Time & Money Saver
- A Big Support Community
- Easy Content Management
You can experience several other benefits as well. The most important thing regarding this particular platform is regular updates. It helps in experiencing some advanced features by which you are capable of showcasing the business effectively.
Now, the users can avail of its services in two different forms like Magento 1 and Magento 2. Magento 2 is associated with lots of new features and benefits. It is the biggest reason by which people now start migrating their stores from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
Magento Migration – An Overview
When it comes to the Magento migration, then many people are getting confused not able to understand the actual facts. As per the recent notifications by the Magento, the support and update services for Magento 1 are stopped from June 2020. In case you want to keep your eCommerce website updated and make things better, then you need to migrate it to the new version Magento 2.
Migration helps the website owners to keep their platforms always updated and add some advanced features easily. It becomes useful in increasing the user-experience and dominating the competitors as well.
Why Should You Migrate From Magento 1 To Magento 2?
Some people are not in favour of migrating their Magento store. In reality, they are going to make the biggest mistake here. Here, you will get introduced to some major ones.
No More Support
While availing of services from a development platform, then everyone needs some technical support for sorting out different types of issues. In the case of Magento 1, it is finished now. For the users of this particular version, there is not any technical support from the platform. Along with it, the users will not get any kind of further updates regarding plugins or modules.
Everyone tries to keep their website and content fully secure from different types of online threats such as – cyberattacks, malware, and so on. Security is also an important factor from the success point of view. After finishing support and updates for Magento 1, security-related issues may appear. Here, you will not get any kind of security-related updates in the future by which you can keep the website issue free for the users.
By focusing on these two main reasons, you can easily understand the importance of migrating the eCommerce website. Another thing is, migration will benefit the users in several ways as well.
Benefits Of Magento 2
Previously, we discussed some reasons for migration. Here, you can get introduced to the benefits of Magento 2 that you can experience after migration.
Good User Experience
In the case of an online platform, everyone has to be focused on user-experience. To impress the audience and making things better, you have to maintain a high user experience by which the visitors will get impressed. By impressing the visitors, you are increasing the chances of lead generation and getting more conversions.
Magento 2 is available with several new features by which you can work on the improving website’s user experience. Mainly these features are – more payment integrations, improved check out page experience, shopping cart effectiveness, and so on.
All we are aware of the influence of using mobile devices for accessing the services online. Mobile usage provides an easier manner for internet users for completing their respective tasks. Similarly, when it comes to access online stores, then they do the same. Due to it, all eCommerce website owners have to make sure, their website is mobile-friendly.
Magento 2 allows users to keep their website perfect and easily accessible on mobile devices. It benefits business with more leads and higher conversions. The mobile users never face a single issue while placing orders and checking out the online store.
For impressing the visitors, you have to work on creating an attractive and impressive web design. Magento 2 provides lots of options with some new themes and designs. It will be useful in creating an attractive website with the best check out pages. Here, you are capable of creating a responsive design with ease. A responsive design can be accessed on multiple devices and serve all types of buyers.
Store performance matters a lot when it comes to encourage buyers to place orders. You have to be focused on keeping the website’s performance as good as you can. Usage of Magento 2 can be helpful in maintaining high web loading speed and serve the customers efficiently.
Online marketing is the key to the promotion and success of an online business. Without online marketing, you are not capable of spreading awareness and get traffic to the website. Magento 2 is featured with some automated marketing tools, by which you can run some effective campaigns and increase the rate of conversions.
For experiencing all these benefits and boost your online business to an advanced level, you should consider Magento 2 migration today.
Magento Migration – Step By Step Process
Migrating a Magento website cannot be an easy task. It requires complete technical knowledge. The professionals also have to take care of several elements for avoiding unnecessary losses. We have the best Magento experts who can complete such a task with perfection and without leaving a single error behind. Here, you will get information about the migration process.
Step 1: Check Out All Extension
Firstly, you have to check out the current website properly and figure out all installed and active extensions. You should identify all the extensions and make sure that you need these extensions in a new website or not. In case you want the older ones, then you should access Magento Marketplace and find out them for Magento 2. Along with it, you need to finalise, you want to migrate extension’s data as well or not.
Step 2: Prepare You Store To Migrate
After making all decisions regarding extensions, you have to keep your store ready to migrate. For such a task, you have to begin with some adjustments like – setting up the store’s hardware system by arranging web design and topology. You have to keep these things similar to the Magento 1 website’s system.
Now you should focus on installing Magento 2 with its all modules. Along with it, you have to install a migration tool by paying attention to the system requirements. When the tool gets installed, then you have to check out its settings and adjust all elements as per your requirements.
In case you are not interested in migrating some elements, then you can customise related factors in settings. With it, you should try to understand some technical facts regarding the data migration tool as well.
Step 3: Dry Run
Some people start migrating the store directly and it will increase the chances of mistakes and data loss. To prevent, these types of mistakes, you should try to consider testing mode. In such a mode, you have to run a complete process and try to figure issues. It will help you in migrating the website without any error in reality.
- Consider a staging server and copy the existing Magento 1 website.
- Now try to migrate the copied online store to Magento 2.
- Review the complete procedure, steps, and test your store after migration.
It will assist you in figuring out all crucial factors and focusing on several other things.
Step 4: Migration Time
When you done with the migration testing and understand all factors, then you should start working on the real one. Now, you have to stop the complete processing and all activities from the Magento 1 servers. Here, some activities are allowed by the system to keep running like –
- Credit memos
- Other order management activities
With it, you should keep one thing in mind, don’t create a new database for any type of activity. You have to work with the older ones only. Now, by using the migration tool you should start with website and settings migration. For the media files, you have to consider copying the procedure manually from Magento 1 to Magento 2. For the database migration, the tool is going to be very helpful.
Step 5: Changes In Migrated Data
After the completion of data migration, you have to check out each and everything. Sometimes, people make changes in catalog structure, CMS pages, sales rules, and so on in the new or Magento 2 website. You have to make these types of changes by putting manual efforts only.
Sometimes, these things are leading to different types of mistakes like missing some content. Most commonly, the users are facing issues regarding the product missing. You have to add the complete missing content manually.
Step 6: Incremental Data Updates
Now it’s time to work on the migration of incremental data. It is the data created during the migration as per the tasks you allowed earlier to perform during such a process. You have to use the delta mode of Magento 2 store for this particular task and update.
While working on the incremental data updates, you have to be focused on testing Magento 2 website. Here, you should spend time in search of issues if any available on the website. In case you encounter any issue, then you have to start the incremental data update process again after keeping it completely error-free.
Step 7: Publish The Website
After completing all these steps, your Magento 2 store is ready to start facing customers. Here, you have to take some actions and the following are some.
- Firstly, you have to stop the Magento 1 functions by putting it in the maintenance mode.
- After stopping the older website, you have to stop the migration process by pausing the tool.
- Now you should go ahead with the system configuration.
- Make changes in the load balancers, DNS, and some other elements for working with new hardware.
Now you can publish the new store with Magento 2 functionalities and several new things.
Challenges In Magento Migration
While migrating the eCommerce website from Magento 1 to Magento 2, you have to be very careful. There are different types of challenges that may appear. By performing all activities with proper care, you are capable of facing challenges perfectly and avoid some major issues.
- Database Loss – sometimes, during the migration, the database loss issue may occur. Mainly this particular issue strikes if a novice or non-technical individuals try to migrate the website. In case you are getting assistance from the professionally trained developers, then you can prevent it. We have the certified Magento developers for handling your projects and fulfilling the requirements.
- Slower Speed Of Current Store – during the complete migration process, your Magento 1 store stays live and interacts with the customers. Migration leads to some specific effects here on the performance of its operation such as – slowing down the website speed. Here, you should try to hire the best developer who can optimise the Magento 1 store perfectly and reduce the risk of affecting the website speed. Another important thing is related to the time, you should pick the time of migration carefully. Try to choose the date and time when you will get the minimum traffic like holidays, off-season, and so on.
- SEO Ranking – all website owners are putting lots of effort and time in online marketing for gaining top-notch SEO ranking and traffic. The migration may lead to some bad effects on the SEO rankings as well. With it, you have to do some extra things like search for the pages with 404 errors. To maintain the rankings and reduce the effects, you should try to apply 301 redirections.
It will help you in getting information about the challenges that you may face during the Magento migration procedure. Here, you can also find some solutions. Our professionals have expertise in such tasks and take of all factors in advance.
Final Words – Results Of Magento Migration
By focusing on all the details, you will get lots of information about the Magento migration and its benefits that you may experience. There is one more thing that you should aware of, the results that you will get after such decisions and actions. Here are some.
- Increase In Sales – in case of the eCommerce, conversions play the biggest role. With the Magento 2 store interface, the visitors will get a high user-experience and user-friendly interface. These things are encouraging them to place an order. Consequently, you can see a boost in the number of sales and start earning more money.
- Decreasing Abandonment Rate – most of the time, the online stores are suffering from high shopping care abandonment rate. With some advanced features of Magento 2, you can easily encounter such an issue (faster website loading speed, tracking, etc.) and decrease the shopping cart abandonment rate.
- Mobile Traffic – Magento 2 is designed by adding some specific features and functionalities by keeping mobile users in mind. It helps in making your website mobile-friendly and helps you in availing of several benefits. It will bring an increase in mobile traffic and the number of mobile conversions swiftly.
Now you can understand everything about Magento migration and get answers to all questions as well. In case you have any kind of doubt in mind and discuss your project, contact Webomaze today! We love to assist you and provide the best eCommerce Magento development services.